Fitness industry has grown immensely over the last couple of years and with that you may have also noticed the extreme growth in some fitness girls’ butts.
I’m so happy that currently it’s the booty that’s trending, I feel like it’s my kinda era. Unfortunately I was not blessed with big boobs and even though I have considered implants, this hasn’t happened and I’m still ‘rocking’ my flat chest. Having said that, because I have been blessed (I’ve had to work for it too) with a reasonable booty, it almost overcompensates the loss of boobs and I don’t really mind not having them.
Anyway this post is for the people that missed the big ‘how to get a big booty’ train, so take a look at a few of my tips and hopefully you’ll end up growing some nice big buns of your own (or at least get strong legs).
It goes without saying that genes play a big part in anything in this life but with hard work and the right exercise and diet regime, anything is possible!
When trying to lose weight,
you need to create a calorie deficit which means eat less than you spend. Pretty sad, right, no more overindulgence. However, when trying to put on weight, you’d need to increase your calorie intake in order to facilitate the growth in any muscle groups and that means more food- YAY!!! So your first step is to make sure you’re getting enough food in. PS! Keep it as ‘clean’ as possible with a lot of protein rich foods (1.2-1.7 g per kg of bodyweight) but definitely not leaving out carbs and fats either. Don’t feel guilty about eating more, if you train appropriately, your body will put it in good use. *different approach applies when the goal is weight loss+nice booty
2. Heavy Weights
In order to grow muscle you’ll need to progressively add on more weight to the basic glute-building exercises which I’ll list shortly. Listen to your body and feel your limits, it’s not something that happens overnight and it’s best to progress slowly than end up with a serious injury. For example, when I first started lifting, I had 80 kg on the decline leg press and now I’m doing it with over 350 kg. It has taken me 2-3 years to get to these numbers and it has been a fun journey. 1- you’ll grow your legs, 2- you’ll continuously challenge yourself with new personal bests and get stronger.
3. Rest/ Sleep
It goes without saying that rest and sleep play a huge role in this process. Not only will you feel great after a good night’s sleep but there are many health benefits that come with it: more energy, lower blood pressure, lower stress levels, improved memory and sharper attention, smaller appetite and the list goes on. So instead of watching Youtube videos until 2am, avoid screen time for at least 1 hour before bedtime. Instead, read a book and snooze off much quicker and enjoy the great quality sleep.
4) My Favorite exercises:
- Lunges – I am a big fan of lunges!!! Due to my dodgy knee, I have not been able do heavy squats persistently and therefore built my glutes by doing different types of lunges. Obviously it will not be just 3×12 lunges and suddenly you see the butt growing…There were training days in which I did 600 walking lunges. So make sure you play around with various volume trainings and low-heavy weight combinations.
2. Hip Thrusts- Another superb exercise that is targeting the bum and it’s unlikely that you will be unsure where should you be feeling it or even worse, that you’re not feeling anything. This exercise burns and if your reps and weights are right, it should make your backside ‘tingle’ when sitting down after a set. I typically perform 4x 10-12 reps with heavy weight and then finish with 10-20 pulses. Or do a combination of 3 thrusts followed by 5 pulses until failure.
3. Deadlifts- I have a love and hate relationship with these. They are not easy but when looking at the pump that it gives to pretty much the entire body, the love for deadlifts returns. I tend to do 4-6 sets of heavy weight (6-8 reps)
4. Sumo Squats- These are providing DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) in places you never knew even existed. Try doing drop set with these! My drop set starts with 6-8x with 50 kg, then down to 40kg and finishing with 6-8 reps with 30kg. I do them on steps which allows me to go deeper.
5. Bulgarian split squats(with pulses)- I can feel my bum even by just thinking about this exercise. I do 3 or 4 sets of 12 reps with heavy dumb-bells and finish with 15-30 bodyweight pulses which will really set your legs on fire!
6. Decline Leg Press- This is my baby! There’s no better feeling than beating those personal bests on this machine. And again, DOMS guaranteed! Rep range on this machine varies. Some days it will be low reps, heavy weights, some days the opposite!
There are obviously hundreds of other great exercises but if I’d have to choose only 6 exercises, I’d do these over and over again!!! The next time you hit the gym, take the same 6 exercises, perform them in 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps, add a few holds and pulses and don’t hold back on weights. Feel the burn and enjoy the pumped peach!